The following is a press release from the US Capitol Police:
Prohibited Items on Capitol Grounds for 58th Presidential Inauguration
To ensure the safety and security of the U.S. Capitol Complex, the following items are prohibited from being brought into the Capitol Buildings and Grounds during Inaugural events. Failure to adhere to these established regulations can result in arrest, fine and/or imprisonment, as well as the confiscation and/or destruction of the item.
Pursuant to the United States and District of Columbia Criminal Codes, firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives, or incendiary devices are prohibited on U.S. Capitol Grounds.
- Federal law prohibits flying Unmanned Aircraft Systems, such as drones, anywhere in the District of Columbia. Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Capitol Grounds are designated as a NO DRONE ZONE.
- FIREARMS IN DC: The open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the District of Columbia. To carry a concealed firearm within District of Columbia, you must have a District of Columbia issued concealed carry permit, and be in compliance with all applicable requirements, restrictions, and prohibitions under the law. There is no reciprocity with other validly issued out of District permits. Even with a valid District of Columbia issued permit, a permit holder is still prohibited from carrying in certain designated areas, to include, but not limited to, demonstrations, federal buildings, the National Mall, the White House complex, the U.S. Capitol Grounds, and gatherings or special events open to the public such as the Presidential Inauguration.
Prohibited Items on Capitol Grounds:
- Animals (other than service animals)
- Backpacks, Roller Bags, Suitcases
- Bags exceeding size restrictions (12″x14″x5″)
- Banners, signs or placards
- Chairs (except those for mobility needs)
- Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
- Glass, Thermal and Metal Containers
- Knives, blades, or sharp objects (regardless of size)
- Laser Lights and Laser Pointers
- Leatherman or similar tools
- Mace/Pepper Spray
- Noisemakers, such as air horns, whistles, drums, bullhorns, etc.
- Poles and Sticks, including Selfie Sticks
- Spray Containers
- Supports for signs and placards
- Toy Guns
- Unmanned aircraft systems, Drones
- Weapons of any kind
- Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners
For additional information regarding prohibited items on Capitol Grounds and in Congressional buildings, please visit https://www.uscp.gov/visiting-capitol-hill/regulations-prohibitions/prohibited-items