The US Capitol Police have issued the following press release to help visitors to the National Mall for the “Concert For Valor” in Washington D.C.:
On Veterans Day, Tuesday, November 11, 2014, The Concert for Valor will be broadcast live on HBO from the National Mall in Washington, DC from 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm. The U.S. Capitol Police will have enhanced security measures in place for this free event.
Temporary lighting, variable message boards, and signage will be in place around the Capitol Complex in order to facilitate way-finding to the concert on the National Mall. The U.S. Capitol Police will coordinate and work closely with regional law enforcement, transportation, public safety, and emergency management agencies throughout the day and during the event.
Street Closures (U.S. Capitol Grounds)
On Tuesday, November 11, from 6:00 am until the conclusion of the event, the following street closures and traffic restrictions will be in effect and apply to “through” traffic, non-emergency vehicles:
- 1st Street between Constitution Avenue, NW and Independence Avenue, SW
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 1st Street, NW and 3rd Street, NW
- Maryland Avenue between 1st Street, SW and 3rd Street, SW
- Non-emergency vehicles traveling northbound on Washington Avenue, SW between D Street, SW and Independence Avenue, SW will be redirected eastbound on D Street.
On Tuesday, November 11, from 6:00 am until 11:00 pm (except where noted), the following street closures and traffic restrictions will be in effect and apply to pedestrian traffic:
- Union Square (1st Street between Garfield Circle and Peace Circle; 100 Block of Pennsylvania Avenue, NW; 100 Block of Maryland Avenue, SW; 3rd Street between
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW and Maryland Avenue, SW
- 100 Block of 1st Street, NW
- U.S. Botanic Garden (5:00 pm to midnight)
- Area north of and adjacent to Union Square (6:00 am to midnight)
Capitol Tours and Tour Buses
On Tuesday, November 11, the Capitol Building and Capitol Visitor Center will be open for tours until 4:30 pm.
From 6:00 am until 5:00 pm, tour buses going to the U.S. Capitol for tours will be permitted to access Garfield Circle and Peace Circle. Tour buses must enter and exit at 3rd Street, SW and Maryland Avenue, SW. After 5:00 pm, no tour buses will be permitted to enter or exit at this location.
If there are any questions about these events or our security procedures, you may contact the United States Capitol Police Public Information Office at 202-224-1677.