The 2016 Folklife Festival will take place Wednesday, June 29, through Monday, July 4, and Thursday, July 7, through Sunday, July 10. It will be located on the National Mall, between Fourth and Seventh streets, adjacent to the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum. Admission to the Festival is free and hours are from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, with special evening events beginning at 6:30 p.m.
This year the festival is going to be in front of the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum, bringing more than 90 participants from the Basque country and more than 230 Basque Americans to the National Mall to share their culture with the public. They are also bringing nearly 70 musicians and culture bearers from California to showcase the diversity and rich musical traditions of California.
Some highlights include:
- A 26-foot long Basque ship and a 56-foot long fronton (handball court) on the Mall
- Performances by world famous musicians Kepa Junkera and John Santos
- Basque sports such as handball and stone lifting
- Basque language lessons and bertsolaritza (oral poetry contests)
- A Mixteco band and dance group from central California that keeps their Oaxacan community ties alive through music
For more information, visit our Smithsonian Folklife Festival page.